The Mayweather - Pacquiao Fight!
There are so many controversial fights in the boxing world that create a scene not only in the boxing industry but in the world of sports in general. Some of them are created from the boxers themselves, their personalities, attitudes and characters that affect their lifestyles as a boxer.
One of which is the most controversial and mind tickling incident when one of the greatest boxer of all time Mike Tyson had bitten his opponent on his left ear. This incident shocked the world inside and outside sports and had made the boxing authorities suspend Tyson plus a tremendous case against him. But this is just one of the controversies, there are also numerous scandals concerning the decision of the judges regarding the fight, two of the best examples are the Park Si-Hun and Roy Jones Jr. match during the 1988 Olympics.
It was a fight for the gold medal, all the audience plus many other boxing enthusiasts saw it as Jones’s victory but for whatsoever reason, the judges voted for Park as the emerging winner. This scandal led to the fact that judges were suspended after Park invited Jones to the gold medal podium and apologized to him for the wrong decision. The other one is the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley, for so many who had watched the fight, it was Pacquiao who won 11 rounds out of 12 rounds went to him, but again for whatsoever reason, two of the judges voted on Bradley making him the champion. But these controversies came along after the fight or after the decisions had made. There are also controversies between two boxers even the fight is not yet done.
Many obstacles came along in between the dates that these two fighters need to overcome. There is always reason not to pursue these fights for so many reasons whether this is from the camp of Pacquiao or sometimes reason not to make the fight happen because of Mayweather’s camp or from himself alone. But the fight between these two controversial boxers could have been the most anticipated fight of all time, could also be the most watched boxing fight in the history of boxing. The supposed to be fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather was actually considered as one of the most featured topic on news from television, radio, newspaper and especially on the internet.
- March 17, 2014 GMS website – “A potential ‘Super Fight’ between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao would stand to net both boxers a guaranteed $50m, according to a recent report.” By Rob Swan. A report from a certain sports magazine implies that if the two greatest boxers agree to face each other inside the boxing ring, the fight could actually generate $100 million profit for the both of the boxers, as this fight is actually the fight that the whole world is waiting for in about two years now. And the report also says that this fight is quite possible in the years to come. “"As long as both Pacquiao and Mayweather can keep winning, it's likely that both fighters would command $50 million each when they finally meet, insiders believe," the Inquisitr wrote.
- Yahoo Sports January 14, 2014 By David King – “Mayweather breaks down Manny Pacquiao’s Charity Challenge.” The Pac-man once again shocked the world of boxing when he challenged Mayweather again to a fight where all the revenues and profits would go to charity. This proposal from Pacquiao was considered by many as the strangest call ever made in the history of boxing. Some believed that Mayweather did not accept the challenged because of fear but some also believed that Pacquiao made the challenge because he needed Mayweather to boost up his boxing career which the situation now is quite deteriorating. But whatever the reasons or objectives, the fight between the two great boxers would be phenomenon as the most watched movie of all time.
- Bleacher Report November 24, 2013 by Kenny De John – “Manny Pacquiao is ready for a mega fight against Floyd Mayweather.” After Pacquiao had defeated Rios in a unanimous decision, it seemed that Pac-man had come back with a vengeance after his two consecutive defeats from Bradley and Marquez. His latest bout with Rios made many of the boxing enthusiasts that the Philippine boxer is now ready for a much challenging bout, with none other than Floyd Mayweather Jr. “If Manny demonstrates that he's back and there's a public outcry, we should be able to get it done," Arum said in an interview with Australia’s 1116 SEN Radio.
- Bleacher Report September 16, 2013 by Jesse Reed – “Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Money May would Dismantle Pac-man in super fight.” Based on the opinion of the writer, it doesn’t need for Mayweather to beat Pacquiao just to prove the world that he is indeed the best pound for pound champion but if the nature calls or the two great boxers meet face to face inside the boxing arena, Mayweather could easily beat up Pacquiao. This is because as per the writer, Pacquiao though two years younger than Mayweather, he already had his peak on his career and he has no way rather than being down, meaning his time in boxing is up. While Mayweather is still on his way up after many victories and no record of loses yet.
These are just few in much news regarding the supposed to be fight between the two greatest boxers. Many of the boxing enthusiasts are looking forward to seeing Manny Pac-man Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. facing each other in a bout from where the two would fight for their belts. In about a couple of years now, plan of actions to push the fight through were publicized and announced through news and conferences but for so many reasons, the plans did not come into reality.
The fight that could really be part of history, the fight that could be part of the Guinness World of Records, the fight that could have make or break one’s boxing career and most especially, the fight that could be followed by the whole world not only the boxing industry and the world of sports but the whole globe for that matter. But what really made the story? What is actually brought the idea of the fight between the two iconic boxers?
1. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao – Pacquiao vs. Mayweather
The supposed to be fight between the two greatest boxers on their own rights Floyd Mayweather Jr. an undefeated five-division world title or a quintuple champion and Manny Pacquiao who was an eight-division world champion or a septuplet champion was planned since 2009, but due to disagreements or misunderstandings between the two camps, there would always be preventions and reasons not to pursue the fights between the two boxers.
The initial plan of fight was March 13, 2010 at the Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas, United States for the WBO Welterweight Title and The Ring Welterweight Title which was vacant during that time. It could be the most anticipated fight and the highest grossing fight ever in the history if it was pushed through but unfortunately, it did not happen. The unsuccessful plan of fight was even named as the Ring Event of the Year for 2010. News from different forms of media had been circulated to announce to the world this very interesting supposed to be fight between the two.
Every website that feature this kind of betting are all ready to promote the fight and take part of the event, some even already announced their promotion of betting bonuses regarding the bout. But again, it is not meant to happen. It seems that reasons to evade the fight were uncountable and unlimited. But many are still hoping to see these two giants’ boxers face to face inside the ring throwing punches to each other defending their own reputations.
2. How was it started?
Floyd Mayweather Jr. had a mesmerizing record of 39 wins without loses. On the 8th of December of 2008, he defeated Ricky Hatton via technical knockout. A few months later, he made an announcement that he already had achieved what he dreamt of, and so he announced his retirement in line with his recognition as Ring Magazine’s number one pound for pound fighter from where Manny Pacquiao is number two.
In parallel of his retirement, Pacquiao also had his victory over Oscar De La Hoya and made him one of the biggest names in the world of boxing as he leveled up from lightweight to welterweight. The number two as what the tradition is would become number 1 if the original number retires. But Mayweather’s retirement did not last long because after his 21st month long vacation, he again made an announcement that he would be back to the ring and would face Juan Manuel Marquez who during that time was the Ring Lightweight Champion and ranked number two in pound for pound fighter.
The day that his announcement was made is also the day of the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton. On Mayweather’s announcement, he made negative comments on Manny Pacquiao and criticisms that reach the camp of Pac-man. According to him, beating Hatton is no additional factor for Pacquiao for victory because he already defeated Hatton when he (Hatton) was still undefeated.
And so, Pacquiao defeated Hatton via knockout in round two making him the second boxer to win six different world titles, the first was Oscar de La Hoya. Though Pacquiao already showed interest in fighting Mayweather, there is no news yet on when or where or how is it possible for any production or boxing promotion to make the two boxers face each other in the boxing arena. Months later, Mayweather defeated Juan Manuel Marquez giving the boxing enthusiasts the idea to let the two champions face each other for a fight. But it did not happen yet as Pacquiao again recorded another victory against a Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto on the 14th of November 2009. After his victory, the public is already demanding a fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather.
3. Initial Agreement!
The very first agreement for the Pacquiao – Mayweather bout happened on the latter part of 2009 when the camp of Floyd Mayweather sent a contract of fight to Manny Pacquiao’s camp on the 11th of December 2009. In the contract are stated that the fight would take place on the 13th of March 2010, 1 is to 1 or 50 – 50 fraction on whatever would be the financial outcome.
These premises are just ok with both the camps, but the third condition is quite questionable for the camp of Pacquiao, because in the contract, Pacquiao would need to have a drug test through a random blood and urine test through the day of the fight. Pacquiao did not accept the challenge as it would weaken him tremendously if a significant amount of blood samples would be taken from him, though he agreed to have the drug test 30 days before the fight and another right after the fight which Mayweather’s camp unaccepted.
The trainer of Pacquiao supported his beliefs and made a decision of not allowing any drug test for Pacquiao in a week before the fight. To settle their differences, the two camps did a conversation in front of a judge trying to come out with a favorable outcome for the both of them. But still, after a thorough deliberation, Mayweather agreed to a 14 day no drug test for both of them but Pacquiao agreed to a 24 day no drug test, therefore no half way decisions had made and on the 7th of January 2010, Bob Arum who happens to be the promoter of Pacquiao made an announcement that the supposed to be fight between the two great boxers could no longer pushed through. On the 13th of March 2010, Manny Pacquiao fought Joshua Clottey instead of Mayweather and the latter fought Shane Mosley and both boxers won the bouts.
4. Second Agreement
An announcement has been made on the 13th of May 2010 by Bob Arum that Manny Pacquiao would have his next fight on the 13th of November 2010 and it is possible that the opponent would be Floyd Mayweather. It is also announced by the president of Golden Boy Promotion Oscar de La Hoya who handles the boxing career of Mayweather that the negotiation would come to happen in the near future.
He made the announcement in a Spanish network on the 12th of June 2010. It was also reported that executives of both the camps had come out with a possible “Super Fight” between the two fighters, that Manny Pacquiao already had agreed to a 14 day drug test prior to the fight, that everything had been settled and agreed upon by both the parties, that only the signature of Mayweather is the only thing lacking.
Pacquiao’s camp gave Mayweather a 2 week deadline for him to sign the contract, but did not happen again for the second time as no sign from Mayweather had been made. So instead of a Mayweather – Pacquiao fight on the 13th of November, Pacquiao fought Antonio Margarito instead. And this second agreement was denied by the camp of Mayweather, they insisted that no negotiations between the two camps had been made.
|Copyright © Online-Gambling.co.uk